Deadline reports:
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai [...] defended his decision to refer Sinclair Broadcast Group's proposed $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media to an administrative law judge for review.
[...] Central to the review is how Sinclair presented its plans to divest stations in Chicago, Dallas and Houston in order [to] gain regulatory approval. Those so-called "sidecar" deals could enable Sinclair to effectively continue operating the stations, Pai [link removed] said, in violation of federal rules.
Over at Ars Technica:
President Donald Trump yesterday lashed out at the Federal Communications Commission over its vote to block Sinclair Broadcast Group's acquisition of Tribune Media Company.
"So sad and unfair that the FCC wouldn't approve the Sinclair Broadcast merger with Tribune," Trump tweeted.
A combination of Sinclair and Tribune "would have been a great and much needed Conservative voice for and of the People," Trump wrote. Trump contrasted the Sinclair/Tribune denial with the FCC's approval of Comcast's purchase of NBCUniversal, which happened in 2011.
"Liberal Fake News NBC and Comcast gets approved, much bigger, but not Sinclair. Disgraceful!" Trump wrote.
[...] The FCC last week voted unanimously against approving the Sinclair/Tribune deal. Sinclair needed to divest some stations in order to stay under federal ownership limits, but FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said the company's proposal to divest certain stations "would allow Sinclair to control those stations in practice, even if not in name, in violation of the law."
The FCC didn't block the merger outright, but it referred the deal to an administrative law judge. Mergers usually don't survive that legal process.
[...] If no divestitures were made, the merger would let Sinclair reach 72 percent of US television households. Sinclair owns or operates 173 broadcast TV stations in 81 markets, while Tribune has 42 stations in 33 markets.
Related Stories
Tribune announced its withdrawal from the $3.9 billion transaction in a[n] emailed statement Thursday. Tribune said it has filed a lawsuit in the Delaware Chancery Court against Sinclair seeking compensation for losses incurred as a result of "Sinclair's material breaches" of the merger agreement.
[...] The FCC order asked whether Sinclair was in fact the hidden buyer in a proposal to sell Chicago's WGN-TV to a Maryland automobile executive with no prior broadcast experience, and ties to Sinclair management. The agency also questioned links between the Maryland-based broadcaster and a buyer proposed for stations in Dallas and Houston.
Tribune Media released details of its lawsuit against Sinclair Broadcast Group. saying it is seeking $1 billion from the local TV station owner due to its "belligerent and unnecessarily protracted negotiations" with regulators, which it says doomed the $3.9 billion deal.
Nexstar buys Tribune in $4.1 billion deal
Nexstar Media Group announced Monday it will buy Tribune's 42 television stations and cable network in an all-cash $4.1 billion deal. The merger will form the nation's largest TV station company. Tribune's stock (TRCO) is surging 10% in premarket trading.
[...] The sheer size of Nexstar will massively enlarge the Texas-based media company. If approved, the combined company will own more than 200 TV stations and cover 39% of US households.
Nexstar will now gain a foothold in major markets, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago for the first time, plus a cable channel (WGN America) and a 31% stake in the Food Network.
See also: ACA: Without Conditions, Nexstar-Tribune Should Be Nixed
Nexstar, Tribune TV deal poses test for Trump regulators
Nexstar Attracts Interest for Stations Sale That's Part of Tribune Deal
Previously: FCC Reopens its Review, Solicits Public Comments on Sinclair-Tribune Merger Until 2018-07-12
FCC Chairman Defends Decision to Refer Sinclair-Tribune Deal to Administrative Law Judge
Trump Criticizes FCC for Moving to Block Sinclair-Tribune Merger
Tribune Media Withdraws from Sinclair Merger; Sues for $1 Billion
(Score: 4, Insightful) by Snotnose on Sunday July 29 2018, @11:38PM
If he says the sky is blue I'm gonna assume it's night.
I came. I saw. I forgot why I came.
(Score: 2, Funny) by realDonaldTrump on Monday July 30 2018, @12:15AM
So sad and unfair that the FCC wouldn’t approve the Sinclair Broadcast merger with Tribune. This would have been a great and much needed Conservative voice for and of the People. Liberal Fake News NBC and Comcast gets approved, much bigger, but not Sinclair. Disgraceful!
(Score: 0) by Anonymous Coward on Monday July 30 2018, @06:01PM
Sinclair needs to divest itself of eastern WA TV stations. I'm gettin' sick & goddamn tired of seeing cleavage no matter what channnel I tune into. Hey Sinclair, take your goddamn' slutfest programming elsewhere!