Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments

SoylentNews is people

posted by takyon on Saturday January 28 2017, @09:22PM   Printer-friendly

President Trump's executive order banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. also applies to green card holders from those countries, the Department of Homeland Security said Saturday. "It will bar green card holders," acting DHS spokeswoman Gillian Christensen told Reuters.

Green cards serve as proof of an individual's permanent legal residence in the U.S. A senior administration official clarified on Saturday afternoon that green card holders from the seven countries affected in the order who are currently outside the U.S. will need a case-by-case waiver to return to the U.S. Green card holders in the U.S. will have to meet with a consular officer before departing the country, the official said.

Source: The Hill

At least one case quickly prompted a legal challenge as lawyers representing two Iraqi refugees held at Kennedy International Airport in New York filed a motion early Saturday seeking to have their clients released. They also filed a motion for class certification, in an effort to represent all refugees and other immigrants who they said were being unlawfully detained at ports of entry. Shortly after noon on Saturday, Hameed Khalid Darweesh, an interpreter who worked on behalf of the United States government in Iraq, was released. After nearly 19 hours of detention, Mr. Darweesh began to cry as he spoke to reporters, putting his hands behind his back and miming handcuffs.

[...] Inside the airport, one of the lawyers, Mark Doss, a supervising attorney at the International Refugee Assistance Project, asked a border agent, "Who is the person we need to talk to?"

"Call Mr. Trump," said the agent, who declined to identify himself.

[...] An official message to all American diplomatic posts around the world provided instructions about how to treat people from the countries affected: "Effective immediately, halt interviewing and cease issuance and printing" of visas to the United States. Confusion turned to panic at airports around the world, as travelers found themselves unable to board flights bound for the United States. In Dubai and Istanbul, airport and immigration officials turned passengers away at boarding gates and, in at least one case, ejected a family from a flight they had boarded.

[...] Iranian green card holders who live in the United States were blindsided by the decree while on vacation in Iran, finding themselves in a legal limbo and unsure whether they would be able to return to America. "How do I get back home now?" said Daria Zeynalia, a green card holder who was visiting family in Iran. He had rented a house and leased a car, and would be eligible for citizenship in November. "What about my job? If I can't go back soon, I'll lose everything."

Source: The New York Times


Original Submission

 
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough Mark All as Read Mark All as Unread
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • (Score: 5, Insightful) by jmorris on Sunday January 29 2017, @02:52AM

    by jmorris (4844) on Sunday January 29 2017, @02:52AM (#460072)

    This thread has been running for five hours now and pretty much no content other than a primal scream. Trump said he would do this back in the campaign, ban entry from countries with the most terrorism "until we figure out what the Hell is going on." Is everyone shocked because a politician actually kept a campaign promise? People stupidly got on planes to jet set out of the country, knowing Trump had been elected and had promised to do exactly what he has now done? I'm now supposed to have pity for these fools?

    All of the Explody Dopes we have had problems with had papers to be in the country, many even had jobs. And most were traveling back to the hot zones of the world for training. So it makes perfect sense to close that down for a bit until we get a handle on things. We do NOT owe the world access to the U.S., it is a privilege we extend that we can withdraw for whatever reason we deem sensible to us. This, btw, is how every other country does things. Trump limited his action to seven countries, including five where we, or our allies, are currently shooting at Jihadis.

    Starting Score:    1  point
    Moderation   +3  
       Redundant=1, Insightful=4, Total=5
    Extra 'Insightful' Modifier   0  
    Karma-Bonus Modifier   +1  

    Total Score:   5  
  • (Score: 4, Informative) by Anonymous Coward on Sunday January 29 2017, @03:13AM

    by Anonymous Coward on Sunday January 29 2017, @03:13AM (#460089)

    > All of the Explody Dopes we have had problems with had papers to be in the country, many even had jobs.

    Since 1975 there have been literally zero fatal attacks in the US by people from the 7 banned countries. [cato.org]

    Over a 3rd of actual 'islamic' radical attackers were american born.

    Furthermore over the last year 'islamic' terrorists were responsible for 0.3% of the all the murders in the US. [duke.edu]
    Over the last 15 years they were responsible for 123 out of 240,000+ murders or just 0.051%.

    In 2015 more people were killed by toddlers than were killed by 'islamic' terrorists. [snopes.com] Same is true for nearly every one of the last 15 years too.

  • (Score: 1, Touché) by Anonymous Coward on Sunday January 29 2017, @08:06PM

    by Anonymous Coward on Sunday January 29 2017, @08:06PM (#460380)

    So it makes perfect sense to close that down for a bit until we get a handle on things. We do NOT owe the world access to the U.S., it is a privilege we extend that we can withdraw for whatever reason we deem sensible to us.

    It's alright, jmorris! Don't be afraid! Trump will protect you from from those brave freedom fighters that are blowback from a century of US meddling in the affairs of other nations. Here, have a teddy bear.