http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40931775
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un reviewed plans to fire missiles towards the US Pacific territory of Guam but will hold off, state media said.
Although prepared for "the enveloping fire at Guam", the North said it would watch what "the foolish Yankees" do before taking a decision.
Last week's threat against Guam escalated the sharp rhetoric being exchanged between the two sides.
[...] The report on state news agency KCNA said Kim Jong-un "examined the plan for a long time" and discussed it with senior military officials.
The commander of North Korea's strategic force was now merely waiting for orders "after rounding off the preparations for the enveloping fire at Guam".
But, crucially, the report also said that Mr Kim would watch the US before making any decision, signalling an apparent deceleration in the provocative rhetoric.
Previously: North Korea Has Reportedly Miniaturized a Nuke, and is Threatening Guam
(Score: 1) by i286NiNJA on Tuesday August 15 2017, @06:45PM (1 child)
Hardly.. the kinds of provocations under obama were a lot less serious. I think you're just seeing what you want to see.
Fatboy knows trump is weak but mattis is a serious secdef who barely even answers to trump anyhow and mattis can handle north korea.
(Score: 0) by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday August 16 2017, @03:58AM
Exactly how much more provocative could they have gotten under Obama? Testing 4 increasingly high yield nuclear weapons, launching missiles near Japan, etc? Had they had the technology to hit Guam at the time, do you think they would have suddenly started believing Obama's posturing and threats?
It's certainly possible I'm seeing what I want to see, but you must also acknowledge the same.