Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments

SoylentNews is people

posted by mrpg on Wednesday October 24 2018, @07:30AM   Printer-friendly
from the 12/12/18 dept.

NASA chief says agency plans to launch crew on Soyuz in December

Less than two weeks ago, a Soyuz rocket took off with a Russian cosmonaut and a NASA astronaut riding in a Soyuz capsule. The launch proceeded normally for about two minutes until the rocket experienced a problem, and one of the Soyuz's emergency escape systems fired automatically and pulled the crew vehicle away from the booster. After a few seconds of rapid acceleration, the crew capsule carrying Aleksey Ovchinin and Nick Hague made a relatively normal, safe return to Earth.

[...] On Tuesday, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine felt confident enough in the Russian investigation to declare that the next crewed Soyuz launch will occur in December. "We're fully anticipating" putting a crew on that rocket, he said at a meeting of the National Space Council. Investigators have a "really, really good idea" about what occurred during the errant launch earlier this month, he said.

Moreover, Bridenstine praised the reaction of the Soyuz capsule to the rocket error and its life-saving features that protected the crew members on board. "While this was a failed launch, it was probably the single most successful failed launch we could have imagined," Bridenstine said.

Three unmanned flights of the Soyuz will occur before the planned crewed launch to the ISS.


Original Submission

 
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough Mark All as Read Mark All as Unread
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
(1)
  • (Score: 1, Insightful) by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday October 24 2018, @07:59AM

    by Anonymous Coward on Wednesday October 24 2018, @07:59AM (#752850)

    Go safety engineers!

  • (Score: 2) by DannyB on Wednesday October 24 2018, @02:30PM (2 children)

    by DannyB (5839) on Wednesday October 24 2018, @02:30PM (#752985) Journal

    NASA is confident that it is beholden to the Russians for access to space. At least until the 2030s when the SLS can launch.

    --
    If you eat an entire cake without cutting it, you technically only had one piece.
    • (Score: 2) by coolgopher on Thursday October 25 2018, @12:13AM (1 child)

      by coolgopher (1157) on Thursday October 25 2018, @12:13AM (#753396)

      The SLS? Launch? Ahahaha! The only thing it's launching is its own budget, way past the stratosphere.

      (Okay, that's probably somewhat unfair, but not entirely imo)

      • (Score: 0) by Anonymous Coward on Thursday October 25 2018, @03:14AM

        by Anonymous Coward on Thursday October 25 2018, @03:14AM (#753503)

        The only thing it's launching is its own budget, way past the stratosphere.

        To infinity, and beyond!

        Totally fair. All while the Musky One is giving the Randians a perfect ubermensch narrative, and yet all the capitalists in Congress (and the deep state, to borrow a term from the alt-right) are too beholden to pork to be celebrating and singing the virtues of a real life Atlas. (Or would it be Fountainhead?)

  • (Score: 2) by legont on Wednesday October 24 2018, @03:24PM

    by legont (4179) on Wednesday October 24 2018, @03:24PM (#753022)

    My understanding is that this rocket is not in production any more and is being replaced by a new one. They still have under 10 (don't remember the exact number) rockets and plan to launch 3 of them unmanned before the crewed flight. There are also reports of video surveillance equipment being installed; they do suspect sabotage, it seems.

    --
    "Wealth is the relentless enemy of understanding" - John Kenneth Galbraith.
(1)