Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments

SoylentNews is people

posted by mrpg on Friday January 15 2021, @02:01PM   Printer-friendly

'No longer acceptable' for platforms to take key decisions alone, EU Commission says

It is "no longer acceptable" for social media giants to take key decisions on online content removals alone, following the high profile takedowns of US President Trump's accounts on Facebook and Twitter, the European Commission has said.

Trump's accounts have been suspended by the two platforms for inciting calls to violence ahead of the violent riots that hit Washington's Capitol Hill last week.

Speaking to lawmakers on Monday (11 January), Prabhat Agarwal, an official who heads up the eCommerce unit at the European Commission's DG Connect, noted how the EU executive's Digital Services Act attempts to realign the balance between effective content removal and preserving freedom of expression online.

"It is no longer acceptable in our view that platforms take some key decisions by themselves alone without any supervision, without any accountability, and without any sort of dialogue or transparency for the kind of decisions that they're taking," Agarwal said.

"Freedom of expression is really a key value in this," he told the European Parliament's internal market committee.

The comments came following concerns raised by some lawmakers in the European Parliament following the suspension of Trump's social media accounts. In doing so, platforms giants had demonstrated that they yield a disproportionate degree of power over the freedom of speech online.

"The fact that platforms like Twitter and Facebook decide who can speak freely is dangerous," Green MEP Kim van Sparrentak said.


Original Submission

 
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough Mark All as Read Mark All as Unread
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • (Score: 1) by fustakrakich on Friday January 15 2021, @06:47PM (2 children)

    by fustakrakich (6150) on Friday January 15 2021, @06:47PM (#1100713) Journal

    ISP's were banned from blocking tings because they were classified as Common Carries

    By the FCC, which is useless. Congress failed to pass legislation between 2009 and 2011 to make it really stick. FCC rules are changed by pure whimsy of the executive unless congress acts, which they won't, because they really don't want common carrier either. If they did, it would be law.

    We need to use technology to make censorship as difficult as possible, can't depend on the law, that would be foolish

    --
    La politica e i criminali sono la stessa cosa..
  • (Score: 3, Informative) by DeathMonkey on Friday January 15 2021, @08:04PM (1 child)

    by DeathMonkey (1380) on Friday January 15 2021, @08:04PM (#1100780) Journal

    ISPs were reclassified to be Common Carriers in 2015. [senate.gov]

    In December 2017, the Federal Communications Commission voted to overturn a 2015 order that allowed it to regulate internet service providers as if they were utilities. The 2015 order had classified ISPs as “common carriers” providing a “telecommunications service” under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. This classification gave the FCC the authority to impose various rules on ISPs, including those relating to “net neutrality.”

    • (Score: 1) by fustakrakich on Friday January 15 2021, @08:34PM

      by fustakrakich (6150) on Friday January 15 2021, @08:34PM (#1100802) Journal

      a 2015 order that allowed it to regulate internet service providers as if they were utilities.

      An FCC order, that allowed it to regulate the ISPs, totally bogus, easily overturned by the next admin. Congressional legislation is needed to make it a mandate to regulate the ISPs. They had that chance between 2009 and 2011 when they had a majority and the nuclear option, but instead abdicated. Why are you in denial?

      --
      La politica e i criminali sono la stessa cosa..