Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments

SoylentNews is people

SoylentNews is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop. Only 14 submissions in the queue.
posted by janrinok on Sunday April 17 2022, @02:01AM   Printer-friendly
from the don't-connect-them-to-anything dept.

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/04/14/its-still-stupidly-ridiculously-difficult-to-buy-a-dumb-tv/

Historically, "smart" TVs aren't always particularly smart. They've routinely been shown to have lax security and privacy standards. They also routinely feature embedded OS systems that don't age well, aren't always well designed, don't perform particularly well over time, are slathered with ads, and are usually worse than most third-party game streaming devices or video game consoles.

Yet when if you go shopping for "dumb" televisions — as in just a high quality display with a bunch of HDMI ports and not much else, you're usually going to be out of luck. There are options, but guides on this front will usually shovel you toward computer monitors (too pricey at large sizes), or business-class displays (ditto).

[...] Of course it's challenging because TV manufacturers now make more money collecting and monetizing your personal data than they do selling the actual hardware. Last year Vizio noted it made $38.4 million in one quarter just from tracking and monetizing consumer viewing and usage data. It made $48.2 million on hardware (which also includes soundbars, and other products) in that same period.


Original Submission

 
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough Mark All as Read Mark All as Unread
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • (Score: -1, Troll) by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @11:21AM (4 children)

    by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @11:21AM (#1237692)

    Anyone still buying TVs so they can be bombarded by degenerate advertising and TV "programming" deserves everything that happens to them.

    Starting Score:    0  points
    Moderation   -1  
       Troll=1, Total=1
    Extra 'Troll' Modifier   0  

    Total Score:   -1  
  • (Score: 1, Funny) by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @12:55PM (2 children)

    by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @12:55PM (#1237699)

    Your post was missing its "Sent from my iPhone", extremely hypocritical Internet user.

    The day is now ine where people like me are nostalgic for "only" the problems mentioned in The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy song. It needs a sequel.

    • (Score: -1, Troll) by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @05:26PM (1 child)

      by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @05:26PM (#1237725)

      And you'd be wrong. I do not use a "smart" phone for browinsg the internet. PFSense + pfblockerng at the firewall and ublock-origin in the browser is fairly sufficient to avoid seeing all advertisement.

      Try harder next time, jew.

      • (Score: -1, Flamebait) by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @10:35PM

        by Anonymous Coward on Sunday April 17 2022, @10:35PM (#1237790)

        Oh look a pedophile! #MI5

  • (Score: 2) by maxwell demon on Sunday April 17 2022, @07:23PM

    by maxwell demon (1608) on Sunday April 17 2022, @07:23PM (#1237745) Journal

    I very rarely see TV ads because I usually only watch stations either completely without ads, or where ads are restricted to certain times of the day which I can easily avoid. I may see a few ads before the main news since I don't always exactly get that point when the news start (and there are ads directly before).

    And yes, 99% of the program is crap. I just concentrate on the remaining 1%.

    --
    The Tao of math: The numbers you can count are not the real numbers.