Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments

SoylentNews is people

posted by n1 on Thursday October 08 2015, @06:44PM   Printer-friendly
from the known-unknowns-of-collateral-damage dept.

A Médecins sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) hospital was bombed by the US. Result, 12 dead staff members and 10 dead patients. The coordinates of the hospital had been communicated to the US forces before to avoid mistakes. The US admits the attack was a decision. MSF is now seeking an independent inquiry.


Original Submission

 
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough Mark All as Read Mark All as Unread
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • (Score: 0) by Anonymous Coward on Friday October 09 2015, @10:01AM

    by Anonymous Coward on Friday October 09 2015, @10:01AM (#247334)

    You cited yourself which cites a vice article which has a clickbait headline and inside says:

    He clarified that the strike was merely requested by Afghan forces

    Either you didn't read it or are a liar or both. What credibility do you have?

  • (Score: 2) by janrinok on Friday October 09 2015, @11:27AM

    by janrinok (52) Subscriber Badge on Friday October 09 2015, @11:27AM (#247352) Journal

    MSF said that even though it provided US forces with the GPS coordinates for the facility.

    The attack was requested by the Afghan forces but actually called by US SF - they are responsible for ensuring that the GC is complied with. If they do not know it is a hospital, they should not be calling in a strike. The US had been provided with the information that they needed by MSF. You cannot absolve yourself from the obligations of the GC simply by saying someone else asked you to do something.

    I did read it. I am not a liar. But, unlike yourself, I understand the GC am also very aware of the its requirements and was, for a short time in my career, actually responsible for teaching it to others. My credibility is there. Dear AC - what is yours?

    But during Tuesday's hearing, Campbell admitted that it was in fact US Special Forces — not the Afghan army — who communicated with the gunship. He clarified that the strike was merely requested by Afghan forces, but still insisted that the buck stopped with the US military. "Even though the Afghans requested that support, it still has to go through a rigorous US procedure to enable fires to go on the ground," he told the committee. "We had a special operations unit that was in close vicinity that was talking to the aircraft that delivered those fires."

    Taken from the statement of General Campbell. given under oath, from the article I had linked to.

    Now, I suggest AC that you read that article again, and this time try to understand what it says.