Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments

SoylentNews is people

SoylentNews is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop. Only 18 submissions in the queue.
Meta
posted by on Sunday February 23 2020, @03:20PM   Printer-friendly
from the anything-not-illegal-is-compulsory dept.

Bleh. Apparently not caring what you do on other sites or even requiring any personal information isn't good enough for the state of Confusion^WCalifornia, so we have a shiny, new, temporary Privacy Policy posted on every page and linked at the top of the nav bar.

If you feel like prettying the language, layout, or whatever up before I get around to it, feel free to do so and submit a pull request.

 
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough Mark All as Read Mark All as Unread
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • (Score: 2) by Common Joe on Monday February 24 2020, @10:07AM (1 child)

    by Common Joe (33) <reversethis-{moc ... 1010.eoj.nommoc}> on Monday February 24 2020, @10:07AM (#961768) Journal

    I'll disagree with you just a little bit.

    In an ideal world, I'd like to know what a website collects about me and be able to view that in plain, curt, understandable English.

    Now, you and I both know that our world is not ideal and every website we frequent (except for this one) obfuscates (and often contradicts) the important points in the privacy policy. Which leads right back to your comment being on the mark. 99% of the websites out there operate criminally (or at least immorally). The other 1% (like this website) are then forced to come up with some piece of crap privacy policy so as to satisfy... well, I'm not sure what they are trying to satisfy. But it's so out of hand that when I go to a website, I assume they vacuum up all the information they can about me.

    I want a privacy policy from websites, but until this data collection nonsense is fixed, it makes no sense to have privacy policies. Privacy policies are only a farce these days. And an extreme waste of everyone's time.

    So, I guess, in short, thanks for doing the unpleasant work so we can keep chugging along. It is appreciated.

    Starting Score:    1  point
    Karma-Bonus Modifier   +1  

    Total Score:   2  
  • (Score: 2) by The Mighty Buzzard on Monday February 24 2020, @12:49PM

    by The Mighty Buzzard (18) Subscriber Badge <themightybuzzard@proton.me> on Monday February 24 2020, @12:49PM (#961799) Homepage Journal

    Oh I'm not saying having a privacy policy is a bad idea. It's in fact a pretty good one. Just because something is a good idea does not make it right to legally compel it though.

    --
    My rights don't end where your fear begins.