SoylentNews is people
|Title || ||OneWeb Seeks Permission to Launch 48,000 Satellites Despite Bankruptcy|
|Date || ||Thursday May 28 2020, @12:15PM|
|Author || ||martyb|
|Topic || |
|from the does-it-go-round-in-circles?-♬♬ dept.|
Bankrupt OneWeb seeks license for 48,000 satellites, even more than SpaceX
SpaceX and OneWeb have asked for US permission to launch tens of thousands of additional satellites into low Earth orbit.
SpaceX's application to launch 30,000 satellites—in addition to the nearly 12,000 it already has permission for—is consistent with SpaceX's previously announced plans for Starlink.
OneWeb's application to launch nearly 48,000 satellites is surprising because the satellite-broadband company filed for bankruptcy in March. OneWeb is highly unlikely to launch a significant percentage of these satellites under its current structure, as the company reportedly "axed most of its staff" when it filed for bankruptcy and says it intends to use bankruptcy proceedings "to pursue a sale of its business in order to maximize the value of the company." Getting FCC approval to launch more satellites could improve the value of OneWeb's assets and give more options to whoever buys the company.
SpaceX Approved to Deploy 1 Million U.S. Starlink Terminals; OneWeb Reportedly Considers Bankruptcy
OneWeb Goes Bankrupt, Lays Off Staff, Will Sell Satellite-Broadband Business
- "takyon" - https://soylentnews.org/~takyon/
- "Bankrupt OneWeb seeks license for 48,000 satellites, even more than SpaceX" - https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/spacex-and-oneweb-seek-licenses-to-launch-78000-broadband-satellites/
- "SpaceX's application" - https://fcc.report/IBFS/SAT-LOA-20200526-00055/2378669.pdf
- "SpaceX's previously announced plans" - https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/spacex-might-launch-another-30000-broadband-satellites-for-42000-total/
- "application" - https://fcc.report/IBFS/SAT-MPL-20200526-00062/2379569.pdf
- "reportedly" - https://www.ft.com/content/8695c459-effd-4b54-8d96-69d8e614f6b4
- "SpaceX Approved to Deploy 1 Million U.S. Starlink Terminals; OneWeb Reportedly Considers Bankruptcy" - https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/03/25/0056231
- "OneWeb Goes Bankrupt, Lays Off Staff, Will Sell Satellite-Broadband Business" - https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/04/06/0256219
- "Original Submission" - https://soylentnews.org/submit.pl?op=viewsub&subid=41260
© Copyright 2022
- SoylentNews, All Rights Reserved
printed from SoylentNews, OneWeb Seeks Permission to Launch 48,000 Satellites Despite Bankruptcy on 2022-12-08 15:58:11