And the winner of the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, as reported by the major mainstream media outlets is Donald Trump. It has also been reported that Hillary Clinton called President-elect Donald Trump to concede.
Electoral vote count (so far): 279 for Donald Trump, 218 for Hillary Clinton. 270 electoral votes are needed to win.
Popular vote: 57,227,164 votes (48.0%) for Donald Trump, 56,279,305 votes (47.2%) for Hillary Clinton. Update: Now it is closer to 59,085,795 votes (47.5%) for Donald Trump and 59,236,903 votes (47.6%) for Hillary Clinton.
Yell, scream, gnash teeth... but please keep it civil.
Results at CNN, NYT, FiveThirtyEight, Wikipedia.
takyon: Republicans have retained control of the House and Senate.
Here's some market news:
Dow futures plunge nearly 750 points as investors warily eye electoral map
Asian markets plummet on likelihood of Trump victory
Bitcoin price soars as Trump pulls ahead
Opinion: How to profit from a Donald Trump victory
Ballot measure results will be covered in an upcoming story. Some initial results can be found at Ballotpedia and CNN.
[TMB Note: Stop breaking stuff, cmn32480]
This election has been a travesty at least since Sanders dropped out and even started to support Hillary, and it turned into an experiment of how high mass-manipulation can rise in the U.S. while still maintaining the semblance of democracy. But look at the bright side:
1. Trump is almost universally hated by both the media and Congress. He'd better watch himself for the next four years, or he goes the way of Nixon. Congress will keep him in check, and Trump will keep Congress in check--actually this is the intended purpose of the Constitution. With Hillary we would have entered the age of rampant cronyism.
2. As much as I don't like the man, I have to give it to him that he is competent. Just remember back a year or so ago--Trump was the joke of the primaries, and very few believed that he would secure the nomination, let alone beat Hillary. Then he turned it all around, against all odds, and how. Hate Trump all you want, but it's hard to deny that he's probably the most competent politician America has seen in decades. He achieves his goals. He is also the one who's the least likely to be controlled by the American political elite.
3. Since most of this political elite and the media wanted Hillary to win, and Trump enjoyed the support of the little, albeit less educated people, I conclude with some satisfaction that democracy still works somehow after all. This is the downside of democracy: you can be outvoted by a lot of morons, but it's still better than any other form of government.
4. Trump's presidency will most likely be one term only, which may be better for everyone than two terms of Hillary.
5. Finally, with Trump at the helm, we are going to see some interesting, perhaps even entertaining times. If we survive it, of course. So just relax, get yourself some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the show!
Bright side? When Drumpf inevitably gets impeached (that is, if he doesn't blow up the world via nuclear mutually assured destruction first), we get stuck with President Mike Pence, who is FAR, FAR WORSE and FAR more extreme than Drumpf could ever be.
(that is, if he doesn't blow up the world via nuclear mutually assured destruction first)
Don't worry, Mexico doesn't have enough nukes for that, and even if they did, Trump would have the support of his good friend Putin.
Why would he nuke Mexico? And the whole point of mutually-assured destruction is that everyone has nukes. We launch a nuke, our target and all their allies nuke us, and then all of our allies nuke all of them, and so on. It doesn't matter where the first nuke goes, all the allied countries of the target have to retaliate. Thats how the system works to keep anyone from using a nuke, because everyone dies if somebody decides to be that stupid.
Thats how the system works to keep anyone from using a nuke, because everyone dies if somebody decides to be that stupid.
The operative assumption of course is that there is no one that stupid. Perhaps you hadn't heard but during a national security briefing Trump asked no less than three times why he couldn't just use nukes. He has also suggested that we bow out of our security agreements with South Korea and Japan and they should just defend themselves from North Korea with nukes instead. Given his extreme stupidity, our future is looking much more bleak. Say a prayer tonight; it may be about the only thing standing between us and Armageddon.
Seriously? Did we hear the responses to his 3 questions? Do you think only asking once would be too many? Is fully understanding the Security Advisors take on the "End of Days" option really the most horrible thing or is it the only responsible thing?
Here's a hypothetical:
Q: What about Nukes?
A: Well, we can't really use them.
Q: Okay, why not?
A: Well, because of the retaliation.
Q: Okay, so when would they be a valid option?
3 times. Of course it's not hard to have the next question be, "They why are we spending Billions on these things?" or something similar.
that is, if he doesn't blow up the world via nuclear mutually assured destruction first
You're thinking of the candidate that was actively picking a fight with the only other serious nuclear power in the world, not Trump.
same hillary voter that was spewing bs earlier. hillary is the hawk out of the two. why you dumbasses keep trying to paint trump as the nut with his hand on the button is beyond me. nobody believes you, dumbass.
hillary is the hawk out of the two.
Yes, she is. But Trump's hardly a dove.
why you dumbasses keep trying to paint trump as the nut with his hand on the button is beyond me.
Because in a couple of months he WILL BE the nut with his hand on the button.
The only possible reason I could come up with for voting for the Drumpfster was the inevitability of the Republicans having to impeach their own president. The Dress would probably not even be blue, and come with the name "Epstein" on it. But right, Pence: he, like most evangelicals, will burn in hell for an eternity for having the gall to thing that they can interpret the will of God. God does not like it when you do that, even if you are a republican, or perhaps, especially when you are a Republican who has hitched his ass to a know fornicator and liar and person with very small hands. I Prey for Pence's soul. Seriously.
Trump is almost universally hated by both the media and Congress. He'd better watch himself for the next four years, or he goes the way of Nixon. Congress will keep him in check, and Trump will keep Congress in check
1. Trump is the dealmaker (see The Art of the Deal).2. Trump allegedly has a short attention span (ask the guy who actually wrote The Art of the Deal).
If #1 and #2 are true, Republicans in Congress and the party establishment may have a much easier time with Trump than they previously feared.
Certainly, Trump seemed to make up stances on some issues on the spot. Get enough mainstream Republicans whispering in his ear, and he could go with the flow. Or just delegate the work to Mike Pence.
2. Trump allegedly has a short attention span (ask the guy who actually wrote The Art of the Deal).
Oh please. Bill Clinton, and Hillary Clinton, have infinitesimally short attention spans. I ran digital for Bill Clinton for 2.5 years. Every day is was another brainstorm from him. They have no idea what it takes to run things, or to do things. They are without a clue. They have never conceived of, planned for, or executed on anything in their lives. They deserve to rest on the dustheap of history.
A historically, bigly, short attention span.
Zelig, is that you?
His attention was held by the Presidential race for nearly 2 years...
He achieves his goals.
Looking at his goals, that's the scary part.
The media was already all-in against Trump. Even Fox News. They blew all their reputation and ammunition trying to stop him. They failed. It says that the more they oppose him, the stronger they make him. Watch. They will cozy up to him, and issue endless mea culpas. Anything else spells total irrelevance for them.
That was by design. https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/796222841612042240 [twitter.com]
Basically the press created this monster. As commanded to do by their buddies at the DNC. Then are collectively flipping their shit when they got what they wanted. They were perfectly cool with the Clintons usurping control of the DNC. Now they have a big problem.
These are not good people. Everything they do is a scheme to either make money or peddle influence or fuck someone (literally and figuratively).